18 March 2010

Small Achievements



Dear Friends,

I have to let you know, I am constantly learning from Lexy. I know it's supposed to be the other way around, and I like to think that I do my fair share of teaching. But, it's true, she is always showing me something or reminding me of something from my past that I had long forgotten.

Yesterday Lexy learned how to blow bubbles for the first time. I know that's nothing big and kids have been blowing bubbles for years. But Lexy has been trying and trying and doing nothing but spitting and spitting for a few weeks. Since the weather has been so nice the last week or so, she and I have been spending a lot of time in our driveway or going for walks around the neighborhood. Well, I walk, she runs. But one of her favorite things to do outside is chase bubbles, and, lately, try to make them herself. Now, being the crazy anal ocd person that I am, I don't actually let her hold the bubble wand. Not yet. I am just not ready to go through 3 outfits a day or buy that much soap. So I hold the wand and she blows. And spits. And blows and spits and spits. And laughs hysterically and runs up and down the driveway. I've realized, she doesn't care so much about getting the bubbles as she does getting the chance to do something that she sees me doing. She just wants to try. And in the last day or two she has even gotten a few bubbles. Which, to her, has been one of the most amazing things anyone has ever done. She jumps up and down, squeals, says "YOU DID IT " (we're working on the difference between you and I) and runs up and down the driveway. She is so proud and it is so cute. She's reminding me that sometimes it's not the actual completion of a task that's important, but the attempt. Just because you can't do something doesn't mean that it's not fun to try.

Love to you all,

C

No comments:

Post a Comment